Friday, January 31, 2014

More Modern Musings and a Framework.

There is a long way to go but I've decided enough things to start.

Another day, another Roscian border post, this time on the Lital frontier, c 1964
but who is that coming down the road?
A. The game must work for both small scenarios on a small board and larger scenarios  on the full table, whatever its final size,  and must use a common board with other gridded games. The 3" grid squares are a bit too small for some units  but the experimental 9 cm squares seem to work for all the periods and units that I'm considering for use on a grid.   I would like to find room for a slightly larger portable board but for now I will plan on a minimum board of 8x10 squares. Any increase will be gravy.

B. I will stick with platoon sized units but the larger grid will allow 2 units in a square allowing concentration and combined arms but of course with increased risk from area fire. It will also allow me to use a rough scale of 150 to 200 yds per square or 5 or 6 squares to a km. To put it another way, if I ran the Kennetcook river down 1 edge of the main table and put my house on the Belmont Road on the middle of one edge, Newport Landing would go in the far corner with the  Avondale road turning and running up as far as Poplar Grove. That allows me to picture what I'm looking st in terms of ranges, movement and terrain.

C. Abstraction. When dealing with units vs individuals it can be hard to abstract things like rate of fire, accuracy, training doctrine,  armor protection,  casualties, morale etc into simple but reasonable rule mechanisms. Luckily I have given myself the advantage of using fictional armies which will make it easier as I can level out equipment,  training and doctrine if I choose.

-----------------------------

Overview

Sequence of play will be igougo with a command dieroll to activate company headquarters or individual platoons. Activated HQs can activate any unit within 3 squares  (Counting orthogonally).

Activation will allow a unit to move or shoot or move and close assault or go into over watch allowing reaction fire during the enemy turn.  Any unit subjected to a close assault will get a defensive fire after movement but before the enemy roll. Each activated unit or group of units will resolve movement and fire before the next one starts so HQs are important to coordinate attacks.

When a call is made for area fire from mortars or artillery, fire against registered target squares  will be resolved immediately.  Against other targets a marker indicating   ranging shots will be placed but the fire will be resolved next turn. Unless registered the fire may wander when it comes down. Area fire and air attacks will be made against all units in the target square. I'll need to figure out a method for calling air support.

Combat Effects.  My first instinct was to fallback on the old roll to hit then roll for effect but I do like the simple elegance of the Memoir single roll. I will probably reduce the number of hit results though and since I don't have the nice dice with pretty pictures it will rely on numbers. I think a loss of dice to shoot to the rear.

Morale. Elite units will be able to take an extra hit and ignore 1 retreat. Some units may also get an extra die when shooting. Poor units will take 1 less hit than normal and will retreat 2 squares for each retreat result.

The first appearance of the Lital army on a tabletop.


Alas that's it for now.  I need to get another test game of the latest Macduff on the table in preparation for Huzzah but the Lital Wars will return in a few days.

4 comments:

  1. Ross Mac,

    It sounds like you have the outline of an interesting set of tactical wargame rules.

    I intend to follow your development of these rules with interest.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross,
    Once again you impress with the ability to clearly explain the path your thinking has taken. It certainly seems that as Bob said,you have developed an interesting set of rules for the modern period of the last thirty five years or so. Well done, sir. Well done.
    Jerry
    a/k/a The Celtic Curmudgeon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Jerry, there's many a slip between idea and implementation so we'll see.

      Delete