Sunday, November 11, 2012

Lest we forget

Vincent Crane

This is my wife's father. He lied about his age to join the navy in time to sail on HMCS Haida and see action in 1944/45 (being there when her consort HMCS Athabaskan was torpedoed) as well as in Korea. He also later served on the Bonaventure, our only aircraft carrier and did the North West Passage on HMCS Labrador, the first ship to circumnavigate North America.

Unfortunately, he died of a heart attack shortly after retiring from the navy a few years before I met Kathy so I never had the chance to meet him in person and only know him through the stories she tells but he is lovingly remembered.

8 comments:

  1. Ross Mac,

    I am sure that had you known him, you would have liked him ... and he would have reciprocated.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I get on well enough with his sons so hopefully that is so.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Kathy's Grandfather had some great merchant marine stories but since he also had stories about being in an orphanage with Oliver Twist and marrying an Indian Prncess, well one took them con sal.

      Delete
  3. Great story Ross my thanks , and To all those that have served and continue to serve in these troubled times, my thoughts hopes and prayers are with you all, as well as my profound gratitude...US Army Retired...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd to think that he only retired about 3 years before I joined up. Thanks back for serving at ya Don.

      Delete