Friday, March 2, 2012

Oops

Writer read your own rules!

I just realized one reason the gotcha's suddenly appeared, I was playing my rules wrong!  The effects of maneuvering were supposed to only last until the end of the unit's activation, not all turn. For some reason I thought they prevented a unit from reacting (I had briefly then took it out minutes later!) . That's not the only possible source of glitch and I'm still looking at things over but its an interesting issue. usually if I can't remember a rule instinctively, it ends up getting ditched or changed.

The Toy Soldier factor. I missed limbering and unlimbering artillery when it moved. The effect was there and I don;t have limbers for all my guns but I still missed it. It might be worth adding for the story value and as a reason to paint more up. I'm thinking about that too.

But for now I'm off to play some ancients.

7 comments:

  1. In my experience reading stuff you've written can be a dangerous business!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot to be said for making it up as you go along!

      Delete
  2. Ross Mac,

    This is one reason why I sometimes 'revisit' rules after a short break. The anomalies tend to 'leap out' when you re-read them after a break.

    Regarding your limber/ unlimbers rule ... Don't forget Cordery's First Rule of Wargames Writing:
    'if players forget to use a rule during a wargame and it does not affect the way the wargame works, then perhaps the rule is unnecessary'.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah English! I meant that there is no limber/unlimber rule now, and the rules don't need one but I miss having one for "the look and feel" of the thing.

      Thanks for the 1st rule though, a good one to remember!

      Delete
  3. Ross: According to the last draft The Maneuvering penalty only lasts until the end of the unit’s brigade’s own activation, not until the end of the unit's activation. Perhaps this has created the confusion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brigade activation that's what I meant but I was making the affect last until the end of the whole turn which was not what I intended. Pure mistake but one I have to think about.

      Delete
  4. Please let us know when you have the available rules updated to the point where you are once again happy with them . . . well, at least until the revision after that, of course.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete