Friday, May 20, 2011

Post script: Some additional considerations and assessments

I figures I might as well cost out my options. Seems like I have made an inconvenient choice of table size. Both Hotz and Hexon cater to a basically 4x6 surface. A double order would have covered my old 6x8 but 6x5 will leave me with excess material. Luckily this can provide hills. (The felt can be glued onto wood or foam to match the table.)

Options (prices include estimate in Canadian Dollars:

 a) Hotz felt mat. Roughly $100 for the mats and $20 or so for shipping: $120
Can be used the day of delivery with some work done to add hills etc later.

b) Naked Hexon tiles to be painted by me on arrival. Postage is the killer here but it levels out so that scraping to order extra now makes sense. So 2 basic sets plus some singles or maybe slopes,  $190 + $60 for shipping for about $250. Spending 300 would make sense.  These would come naked and I would have to paint etc to taste.


c) Litko Stencil:  Roughly $40 including postage (esp if I order more bases at the same time). I would then have to apply the stencil and cut the hills from existing scrap and materials that I have on hand. Definitely the cheapest option and also the most environmentally friendly as I would be using existing material including alot of wood. Also the most labor intensive option but the most flexible going forward.

I also drew up a 4" hex to play with and it will (just) hold a 4.7" gun and will comfortably hold a Britain's field gun so the 54's are no issue. Some experimenting with ancients  indicates that if facing the corner so that the ranks line up, a series of 60mm wide units doesn't look that bad. Some of my troops include a proportion of singles still and these can form up 80mm or even 100 mm wide and look just fine. 

Its beginning to feel like going straight to the 100mm hex grid is the most sensible solution for me. Now to be extravagant or sensible? Must go discuss this with the Chancellor of the Exchequer and consult the Regimental  Conscience Officer again. A stencil might provide "hours of entertainment" and be guilt free to boot!

  
  

12 comments:

  1. Hi Ross,

    Got to TMP and search around for Hexon. Read the comments on naked versus flocked hexagons. It can be a big investment, just thought some opinions from owners mught help.

    Cheers,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stencil concept leads into "making your own" . . . which is very "old school" as well as being more financially prudent (and thus allowing funds to be freed up so that they can be spent on other wargaming toys.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ross Mac,

    I have pre-flocked hexes and hills from Hexon II, and they are the best terrain investment I have ever made. It is well worth giving very serious consideration to buying some.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Bob, Jeff & Jim. I'm pretty comfortable with the value of them having scouted around before as well as having personal experience as a user rather than an owner but I did have another look at TMP. I'm glad I did, it got me thinking and this ties in with Jeff's comment.

    I knew the budgets would be tight when I took pre-mature retirement but I've always taken a fair amount of satisfaction from DIY to the point of not only homecasting soldiers but sculpting originals (and writing my own rules). If I make my own unique soldiers and rules, why wouldn't I make make my own unique terrain if I can?

    So budget and custom align nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do know of course that all hexes and grids are the work of the devil, don't you?? I feel another "eyeball post" coming on... :o))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those of us who have invested in Hexon terrain have found that it is well worth the additional cost of buying them ready flocked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ross,

    I believe that I've mentioned this before, but just in case I haven't . . . your masthead photo with your cat eyeing the troops is one of the very best masthead photos around . . . it is superb, sir.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, I know Steve, its a slippery slope, next thing you know I'll start listening to pop music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Mike. I never even contemplated flocking my own. I like my current painted table but it looks like I'm the only person who has ever contemplated using painted rather than flocked hexon tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I second Bob's recommendation on Hexon hexes. Since I started to invest in Hexon, I did away with my other terrain tiles. W.r.t. terrain systems, Hexon has been my best wargaming investment. I still keep some mats around for unusual terrain types, but 80% of my games are played on Hexon terrain (green flocked or desert flocked).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Phil, I'm fairly well set on making my own 4" hexes at the moment to indulge my desire for an OSW painted table look with vertical contours, but it should be compatible if I want to upgrade.

    ReplyDelete