Friday, August 5, 2016

Pleasure Postponed

OK, I admit it, I'm having fun.

Colonel Lannigan US Corps of Engineers, newly arrived on the scene,
confers with Asst Commissary General (Ret'd) Douglas.
Lannigan is a MiniMolds copy of a Britain's Grenadier Officer with US Kepi headswap, Douglas is a Soldierpac recast of a Britain's General.
Having named names in the last post I was going to name and post backgrounds on the commanders but I haven't finished uhhhmm....researching! yes researching them, especially since there it seems that there may be as many as 4.

One of the joys of this little campaign is that I have had various moulds stowed away since the turn of the century, some well used, some barely used and others not yet used, and finally they are coming into action. It is a huge relief at this stage in my life to be able to cast a few figures then quickly paint them up in toy soldier style when the mood strikes knowing that I don't have to do a dozen, or more, of each to make a unit. Its a bonus that the money is already long spent with an eye to retirement.

The original plan had 2 key ideas. It should be a game for toy soldiers rather than a serious, accurate simulation and it should give the impression that someone had assembled the armies using a combination of sets of toy soldiers by Britain's, Authenticast, etc that they bought in a department store, say Eaton's or the Hudson Bay Company Store, in the late 1950's. A game played on a gridded board, probably a version of the Square Brigadier, should work as long as I can get my head around the 4 man units representing only 20 or so men instead of the 100 or more than I envisaged,  and as long as I can get the fort and wagons to fit the grid. If not, it might need a new custom (or bespoke as our British friends might say)  set of non-gridded rules.


14 comments:

  1. Your boyish enthusiasm and style of gaming is a pure delight. I think Ive caught the big soldier affliction because I'm buying up AIP and Britain's figures with a view to garden war-gaming in the style of Little Wars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so much more serious when I was younger and knew more.

      Ahhhh AIP wonderful company, wonderful figures.

      Delete
  2. Ross Mac,

    If I wasn't up to my eyes renovating, varnishing, and basing my collection of Napoleonic figures, I would be sorely tempted to be joining you in casting and painting 54mm figures.

    Good luck with your project; I am really enjoying this strand of blog entries.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the moulds and antiques weren't already in the cupboard I doubt if this would have been reborn but I am enjoying myself.

      Delete
  3. As always Ross your boundless enthusiasm for the hobby is both inspiring and heart warming. Two lovely figures in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Very toyish figures but I've come to enjoy that style.

      Delete
  4. Agreed on all points.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like the Toy-like glossy Soldiers in 54mm and the joys of Homecasting...be it Little Wars in the Garden - or on the Floor - or on a special Table- the lure is indeed enjoyment! Hats off to you Ross- and great going indeed. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Casting always sounds like my boyhood fantasy of creating toy soldiers out of nothing. I know that last bit isn't true and a lot of work and initial capital goes into it, but if I had time, cash and inclination I might still be tempted to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how to break it to you but after 18 years of home casting it still feels that way to me. Doubly so here since these moulds were bought 16 years ago and I'm using metal that I bought in bulk 10 years ago so when I resurrected the project it was toy soldiers for nothing!

      However there are at least 6 makes of mould available in 4 scales and various styles and periods and getting everything would be expensive but with a smart choice of 25mm or PA semiflat SYW guys you can spend a little and cast a lot.

      Delete